Online Master of Social Work (MSW)
Empowerment Practice Promotes Societal Change Within All Systems.
The online Master of Social Work (M.S.W.) at Winthrop University incorporates a powerful approach known as empowerment practice. This approach involves promoting social justice through affirming the strengths and capabilities of people, valuing human diversity and implementing system changes at the micro, mezzo and macro levels.
You will emerge from the program as a specialized social worker who can affect how interlocking personal, structural and societal systems of power influence vulnerable and oppressed populations.
Study a Curriculum on Empowerment Practice
You will develop a deep understanding of poverty, oppression and dehumanization. You will be able to apply this knowledge to work with individuals, families, small groups, communities and organizations to implement powerful, positive changes.
This specific curriculum focuses on:
- Empowerment-based social work practice skills across all systems
- Clinical, community, research, multicultural and global perspectives on empowerment
- Models of leadership and supervision consistent with principles of empowerment practice
- Empowerment-based assessment and intervention skills for working with people with mental illness — practices that affirm client strengths and coping within a context of professional values and ethics, social justice and human rights
As a graduate student in the online program, you will learn:
- In a program tailored to your interests. Classroom content ties directly to real practice. You will choose your field education based on your interests. Field education hours are approximately 14-16 hours/week to allow for more flexibility for post-traditional students.
- From uniquely experienced faculty members. Faculty widen your breadth of experience as they share their expertise from a variety of fields of practice: child welfare, public policy, health/mental health, gerontology, community development, administration, international social work and the Peace Corps.
Why Choose Winthrop’s Online M.S.W. Program?
- Nationally recognized with high ratings in the areas of quality of instruction, career advising, student diversity and networking opportunities.
- Graduates can pursue social work licensure. Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) and Licensed Independent Social Worker (LISW) are reserved for graduate-level social workers. View Licensing requirements by state here.
- The program aligns with the NASW Code of Ethics: https://www.socialworkers.org/pubs/code/code.asp.
- A dedicated faculty advisor to assist you in a developing a formal career plan that is supported by academic and field work.
- Advanced Standing program and Traditional program options that cater to your prior academic and professional work experience.